Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mixed Feelings

I became very upset every time when I read the news about the earthquake in China. It is very sad to see people, specially the young ones suffer.

Parents are still desperately waiting for helps to get their child out from the rubbles.

A nurse is saving other people's life while her own child is still under the rubbles.

A teacher saved 13 students, but died on the way out.

Soldiers are crying because they couldn't save school kids under the rubbles due to the late arrival of the proper equipment.


However, I don't think I can just simply not read or watch any news about the earthquake. It happened at where I was born and raised. I have friends and family live there. My parents haven't heard back from all of their friends in Sichuan. We still have relatives who still spend nights in the big open space. How can I ignore it? How I can pretend it didn't happen.

It is great to see and hear the prompt response of the Chinese government and military. Prime minister Wen Jiaobao flew to Sichuan very soon when the disaster happened (with only 5 casualties reported at that time). NPR and NYT reported that the Chinese government handled the disaster as if they were the public elected officials. Comparing the response of George W. Bush to Katrina, who received the news from his assistant in a DVD the next day, I can say the responses of Wen have been way much better. A reader's comment on a Editorial in Washingtonpost put it in a much better way.
Looks like the Chinese have a pretty effective FEMA. I wonder why they didn't come over and help with Katrina. And if our paranoid jingoistic government objected, I am sure the UN would have authorized sending them in anyway.
Hopefully. they will next time.

However, one thing that strikes me the most is the school buildings and lost of student lives in the towns and cities nearby the epicenter of the earthquake. I'd like to see the investigations on those school and hospital buildings after the disaster relief, as I haven't heard many reports on the collapsed of the governmental buildings.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I hope your family friends are ok! From what I've seen on the BBC I think there's gong to be an investigation of the school structures. Many people are asking why those buildings seem to have collapsed so often.