Thursday, May 01, 2008

Foreign Policy of Modern China

I'm finally taking a class whose context I'm familiar with. I have experienced or known all the events included in this week's reading for the class, Foreign Policy of Modern China.

I was an elementary school student in 1989 when June 4 accident happened. I was in high school in 1996 when the book--China can Say No--became popular. I was a sophomore in college in 1999 when the US bombed the Chinese embassy in Balgrade. I was about to graduate from college in 2001 when a Chinese F-8 jet fighter and an American EP-3 surveillance plane collided over the South China Sea. I have witnessed some of the reactions of the Chinese people towards all the events mentioned above.

Beginning the new school year right after June 4 event in 1989, all freshmen in college were required to have military training before the school started. That was still going on even in 1997 the year I entered college.

Of course, I heard of the book, China can Say No. People talked about it all the time: on TV, at work, in their spare time, etc.

In 1999 when the US bombed the Chinese embassy in Balgrade, my college schoolmates were so infuriated that many went to the protest in front of the US consular in Chengdu. I remember there was an English teacher who was from the US in my department in 1999. He was quite frightened. When he got into the classroom, he was so relieved that we didn't show that we wanted to beat him up. Even though the western media claimed that the protest was organized by the government, I believe it is very likely that the western media was fear of the popularity of Chinese nationalist.

When a Chinese F-8 jet fighter and an American EP-3 surveillance plane collided over the South China Sea and the secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld went crazy in 2001, many people I know were enraged. If the government had permitted another protest, I believe similar things like those in 1999 would have happened.

It was quite interesting for me to read articles and books discussing all the events and the Chinese public reactions to those events.

No comments: