Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Double Standards

I got back to be more social after my general exam. I felt I was self-isolated for a while. Now I started reading news again, beginning to meeting friends again, and resuming "求索" other than my graduate research focuses.

At the gathering last week, one of my American friends asked me about how I thought about Tibet, as Dalai Lama was visiting Seattle at that time and violence and protests in Tibet just happened. Coincidentally, I just read "The Snow Lion and the Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama" by Melvyn C Goldstein. Tibet issue is not as simple as it is reported in the news. Some media, for example BBC, when it reported news about Tibet. The short information included in the news about Tibet was that Tibet was independent, etc. However, it never mentioned UK's ambition towards Tibet last century, the bloody slaughter of thousand Tibetans at the beginning of 20th century, or the treaty (agreement) signed with China on Tibet in 1904. Too sad, people in the western countries believed that they have accessed to more objective media report, and Chinese or people in the "Communist countries" only received government controlled news.

I have to say that when the west prise equal and just, their actions always are inseparable with double standards. Leaders from many countries said they would boycott the commencement of Beijing Olympic games. When the US invaded Iraq, even though people in many countries condemned it, no one said they would boycott anything or any event happening in the US. The west condemn China doing business with Sudan. However, it never mentioned in the western media that Japan was also buying a big amount of oil from Sudan.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for posting about this! I agree that news coverage is pretty one-sided on this issue, but I have been struggling with what those of us concerned about human rights should do to show our concern. Is protesting the right answer? How do we support international collaboration and celebration and still raise these important issues?