Saturday, July 15, 2006

Travel

The world is too big to stay just at one place.

I love traveling. One of my dreams is to travel around the world. When I was an undergraduate student, I was thinking about getting a job that could travel a lot, such as a tour guide. However, after only being a part time tour guide for a short period of time, I realized I didn't like the job that much. I had to take care of people in my tour group. And, I couldn't enjoy the trips as much. Because the trips in general were quite short, I couldn't get to know the local people and their cultures either.

In my junior year in college, studying abroad sounded very appealing to me. At that time, many of my classmates started preparing for graduate school. In China, to get into the graduate school, applicants have to take part in a national qualify exam. One of the required subjects of the qualify exam is the Politics of Chinese Communist Party. Even since I was in the middle school, I have known that I couldn't excel in the subject. In addition, it's very competitive, as each year there are much more applicants than admitted students. After finishing the comprehensive self-evaluation, I came to the conclusion that I couldn't get into the graduate schools in China. Studying abroad didn't require to take the exam on the Politics of Chinese Communist Party. I could not only travel, but also live in the foreign countries, which could be one step closer to my dream.

When I told my parents that I wanted to study abroad, there was a short silent. Then my mother first said: better make sure I was not day dreaming. I didn't remember what I said to them. I don't think I mentioned any about travel, or any ambition. I only heard my father say "Sounds good!" with some kind of excitement.

Until now, I have only traveled to a few places, and lived in two countries. I'm still working towards my dream.

I can't wait for my first trip to Europe in less than 2 weeks.

No comments: