Saturday, November 07, 2009

Wednesday Morning

On Monday, I finally submitted a paper with my second revision. One of the reviewers seemed to find something that s/he didn't find during the first round of review. On Tuesday, I started revising another report. I still had to prepare data for my dissertation analysis. I have been in the PhD program for a while. It is time for me to graduate. I should also look for jobs. I want to stay in the academia. Universities have gone under budget cut. Job postings are fewer compared with a few years ago. At a conference in October, I saw quite a few newly graduated PhDs looking for jobs.

I decided that I should get up early to work on the report on Wednesday. After my morning routine of a glass of warm water, I started eating breakfast. I picked up, Flight, one of the books that I have piled on the table. It was the 11th chapter. Zits was in one of the Indian battles. He got into the body of an old soldier who killed Indians. I finished half of a sandwich. The avocado was so creamy. I couldn't have enough of it. The battle scene was vividly described, bloody and brutal. I was glad that I was not eating meat or anything red in the morning. Maybe it was not a good idea to read such a scene in the morning. Then I read
...Without stopping, that white soldier reaches down and picks up Bow Boy. Cradles the child in one arm. And the while soldier keeps running...That white soldier, a small saint, is trying to save Bow Boy...In the midst of all this madness and murder, one soldier has refused to participate. He has chosen the opposite of revenge...

Tears started to fill my eyes. I almost expected to see the five year old boy being brutally murdered. How courageous the soldier is! Against the order to save lives! While I was crying, I couldn't help keep reading. I didn't want to finish it so fast, but I also wanted to know how the story developed.

When I managed to finish my breakfast, the clock showed it was 9:30. I had to catch my bus.

No comments: