Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Accents

I just read an article on British accents from BBC News. If I read this article five years ago, I wouldn't appreciate it. Surprisingly, how much I enjoy it now.

If you have read my blog, you might remember that I was asked if I was from China first time I talked to my former landlady on the phone for two minutes. Then I heard people said Americans love accents, more accurately European accents. I thought that was very strange. A few years later, I watched the movie "Love Actually", and found the story about a young British fellow who couldn't attract women in UK became very popular in the US because of his British accent very funny. I thought it could only happen in movies. How could it possible American women be attracted to men just because of their accents? I realized I was wrong very soon. One of my American girl friends told me that she liked this guy from Europe and he had a very cute accent!

Ironically, I started to notice accents last year. I have to admit it is pleasant to listen to BBC. However, I do find it more difficult to understand.

No comments: