Thursday, September 14, 2006

5th Anniversary--Americanizing

September 21st, 2006 is my 5th anniversary coming to the US. I have been to the US for 5 years already!!! Gradually, I have been Americanized.

First year, when I was searching for housing, a landlady asked me “Are you from China?” just a couple minutes of the conservation on the phone. I was also quite often asked “Do you have culture shock?”

Second year, people could ask me “Where (here implying which country) are you from?” after a five-minute face-to-face conversation.

Third year, no one asked me “Do you have culture shock?” However, I was asked "Are you a native Amercian?" when I was visiting Boston.

Fourth year, no question on which country I was from was asked.

This year, I was asked "Are you a Mexican?" when I was in Paris.

No comments: